Published: 12 March 2022
Last Updated: 12 March 2022
International Cartoon Contest and Exhibition/NORWAY, 2022
“Refuse To Stay Silent: Stop Violence against Women
243 million women and girls were abused by an intimate partner in the past years 2020-2021, according to the United Nations. Violence against women statistics was already painting a dark picture compared with previous years, and the virus has now severely aggravated the
The already staggering numbers are not to be taken at face value, as a large proportion of cases go unreported. The frequent impunity of perpetrators, stigma towards the victims, and self-inflicted societal shame lead many women and girls to be silent. Abuse, traditionally
represented as merely physical, manifests itself in many forms:
battery, psychological abuse, marital rape, femicide, rape, forced sexual acts, unwanted sexual advances, child sexual abuse, forced marriage, street harassment, stalking, cyber-harassment, human trafficking (slavery and sexual exploitation), female genital mutilation,
child marriage and more…
As countries went into lockdown to stop the spread of the virus, violence against women intensified, especially domestic violence, and the challenges of reporting it grew. Some countries saw calls for help rise significantly, with phone calls to helplines increasing five-fold. Yet,
the number of regular reports fell in others, as access to support via channels became more limited. In a perverse cycle, a lot of women found themselves more isolated as the risk of violence in intimate relationships increased, frequently only in contact with their own abusers for long periods of time, unable to ask for help.
We know the cartoons speak a universal language. Sometimes the text needs to be translated, but that is unnecessary for most cartoons. You can cry, laugh or get excited about them at first glance, and sometimes readers may have to think a little. cartoonists want you to laugh, cry or get mad about the sad, crazy, and cruel things on our planet, to raise awareness about what is happening. For that, our purpose in this contest is to create the main theme combining cartoonists from the whole world on tailored subjects about women's rights and stop violence against them worldwide and protect them because it's a global social crisis. And it has devastating consequences for the societies of the entire world.
We Shouting about the perpetuation of violence against women
Terms and Conditions of Participation in the International cartoon contest and exhibition- Norway 2022.
Please read the terms and conditions of participation
1. The main theme:
(Refuse To Stay Silent: Stop Violence against Women Worldwide).
The contest is open to all cartoonists, illustrators, and graphic artists from all over the world.
3. CRITERIA OF ARTWORKS TO BE SUBMITTED:
– The artworks can be produced traditionally or digitally.
– The paper size of the artworks must be A3 only.
– Authors can participate with a maximum of 2 artworks
(Cartoons or comic Strips) only.
– Artworks must be inedited (that is, neither published before nor used to participate or win in other competitions).
– Important tip! We will not accept any artworks created before the date of our contest.
The organizer can decide to exclude from the award of the prizes
those works that are found to have been already Similarity to other
cartoons are all precisely documented according to the name of the
caricaturist, newspaper, or the website that published these works and the date of publishing.
–In order to be understood worldwide and beyond every linguistic barrier, the works must be without dialogue or texts.
Submission is only possible on the following email:
5. Parameters of digital reproductions:
– the file size of the digital image may not exceed 2 MB;
– the digital images can be uploaded in uncompressed jpg, jpeg format, 300 dpi resolution.
6. The deadline for submitting the digital reproductions is 08th of June 2022, midnight, 12:00 (UTC+2).
7. The jury:
– Norwegian and international jury members will make a selection of the winners' artworks on 15.06.2022 (online meeting).
– The jury decisions are taken by majority vote and are not subject to appeal.
– According to the assessment made on the quality standard of the competing works, the jury may not award all the expected prizes.
8. The exhibition:
– The exhibition of winning cartoons and 30 selected artworks will post
on Cartoon Home Network International (Facebook platform) and take
place at the Norwegian Cartoonist Gallery on the 26th of November 2022.
9. The Prizes:
In total, 08 prizes will be awarded according to the following structure:
– First prize: 500 Dollars + Diploma (that will be sent by e-mail to download).
– Second prize: 300 Dollars + Diploma (that will be sent by e-mail to download).
– Third prize: 200 Dollars + Diploma (that will be sent by e-mail to download).
– Honour prizes (5): Diploma (that will be sent by e-mail to download).
– The prize value amounts are subject to subtraction of legal taxation as valid at the time of its attribution.
– The winning cartoonists will receive the prizes on the 30th of June 2022.
– Participation in the contest automatically implies that the author waives copyrights of his works in any kind of platform, concerning the production and diffusion of the contest and exhibition.
– The artworks may be used in the advertising campaign of the exhibition or for humanitarian purposes.
– Copyrights of the exhibition and catalog belongs to the organizer.
– Winners and selected cartoonists in the exhibition will receive a digital catalog of the contest. that will be sent by e-mail to download.
If the cartoonist wants to receive a printed catalog, he/she should request it and support the shipment costs.
If you might have any questions or problems with online sending,
please contact the organizer on the following e-mail:
We will happy to answer you.
You can visit our Cartoon Home Network International on Facebook:
Good luck to all!.